Thursday, March 13, 2008

In the beginning, there was the Bills. And it was good. Then came Scott Norwood, who played a game called 'just the tip'. The football gods giveth, and they taketh away (though does anyone else wonder if Belichick was taping the Bills before that Super Bowl? I'm just saying...) Then came the Cowboys, who shall always be met with wailing and gnashing of teeth. And thus ended the run of success that met me at the start of my football watching career. Since then I have suffered through years of mediocrity, the Betrayal of The Flutie, the return of Marv, and the rise of the successor to Jim Kelly, Rob Johnson, I mean, JP Losman, I mean, Trent Edwards.

Here are some of the initial rules for this blog:
1. Doug Flutie is to be referred to as The Flutie or His Flutieness and the usurping of his position by Rob Johnson shall be called the Betrayal.
2. Dick Jauron is a serial killer. (you thought I was going to say something about Fight Club, didn't you)
3. The Bills actually won Super Bowl XXV.
4. The Bills will never play in Toronto and anybody who says they will is a commie.

Lastly, an explanation of the title. Everyone knows what an armchair quarterback is. Someone who sits in their La-z-boy, shouting at the TV, and knows way more about football than any commentator and especially the head coach. Well, that's me. I can call penalties before the referees, I can call plays better than the coach, and I can add color commentary better than Phil Simms. Thing is, I have a penchant for defense. So I figure I'd be an armchair player on defense, so I picked strong safety. For two reasons: 1) strong safety is the hard hitter on the defense, responsible for stopping the run; 2) well, I figure that's obvious. So I'll leave you with this: if you're like me and shout at the coach even when he can't hear you, read the hand signals of the refs as they discuss the call, or watch games on mute because you can't stand Joe Buck verbally humping Troy Aikman's leg, come on in, sit a spell, because you are an A.S.S.

No comments: